Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Ski Trip to Arrowhead and Big Bear

Every year during the winter holidays my family goes on a ski trip. This year we stayed in Lake Arrowhead, and skied in Big Bear, California.
Picture taken from: http://www.lakearrowhead.com/

Last year, during the winter holidays, my family and I skied at Cyprus Mountain and in Whistler, British Columbia. This year we decided to stay local. We stayed in a beautiful resort in Lake Arrowhead and skied in Big Bear Lake. 

Lake Arrowhead is a beautiful mountain resort located in the San Bernardino Mountains, California. It hosts about 4 million tourists a year, who can enjoy backpacking, hiking, bicycling, both water and snow skiing or just walking and shopping in its cozy village.

During my family's stay in Lake Arrowhead we walked by the lake, shopped and enjoyed good food in the village, spent some quality time in our beautiful hotel, and went inner-tubing in the snow at a nearby inner tube park .




Leila and I on the dock at Lake Arrowhead


For two out of the four days we spent in the mountains we went skiing in Big Bear Lake. We would wake up early in the morning to beat the crowds and the traffic and then drive forty-five minutes to the Snow Summit ski resort in Big Bear Lake.

Big Bear Lake was inhabited by Serrano Indians for 2,000 years before explorers arrived. It got its name because it was populated by Grizzly bears which unfortunately have not been found in the region since 1908. Just like Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake is also a beautiful mountain destination, offering everything Lake Arrowhead offers plus two wonderful ski resorts, Snow Summit and Bear Mountain. 

My family skied at Snow Summit which has more intermediate runs, where Leila and I are more comfortable. This was not a good year in terms of snow fall, but all the resorts were making snow, so skiing was still pretty good and we had a wonderful time.




I am looking at a beautiful view on the deck of a restaurant on top of Snow Summit



Leila and I at the bottom of the mountain


Do you ski or snowboard?

If so, what is your favorite part about the sport?

If you ski or snowboard where do you usually go?

Have you ever been to Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear Lake?




8 comments:

  1. Dear Hannah,

    I was so pleased to see you are continuing to blog! You are such a great writer and maintaining your blog will continue to strengthen your skills! Plus, I love reading your posts and seeing the great photographs you create to complement your text. :-) I notice you continue to be very good at shooting a picture that tells a story without revealing too much personal information! Well done, Hannah!

    The San Bernardino Mountains are certainly beautiful. However, I haven't been skiing in them in years! I learned to ski at Big Bear when I was in high school. Your pictures look so pretty, maybe I'll see if Mr. Yollis would like to go skiing sometime soon. We actually learned how to snowboard about eight years ago. It was very different from skiing! Did you see many snowboarders on the mountain?

    What was the weather like? The sky looks very clear, so I was wondering, what was the air temperature during the day?

    Thanks for a wonderful post!

    Your former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minoo (Hannah's aunt)December 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM

    Dear Hannah Joon,

    What a lovely post about your family trip to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake! Sounds like you had a fun and relaxing time in the mountains.

    Just like Mrs. Yollis I have not been to the San Bernardino Mountains for many years, but I still remember their beauty. I don't ski anymore, but I would still love to go to enjoy hiking, biking, or just walking in such a beautiful setting. Just to go up there and breath in the crisp, fresh mountain air is a treat! Your mom tells me that there was some pretty good shopping up there too, that's a little added bonus, isn't it?!

    I was pleasantly surprised to read that you and Leila are intermediate skiers now.That's awesome! Have you ever thought of snowboarding? It looks really hard to me. But, I hear more and more people are snowboarding now.

    Thank you for sharing your lovely vacation with us!

    Love,
    Khaleh Minoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    Thank you for your lovely compliments! I definitely love blogging, and I will do it for years to come.

    You mentioned that you haven't been in the San Bernardino Mountains for some time. Where do you usually go skiing or snowboarding?

    There were many snowboarders on the mountain, and I was afraid one of them would run into me. Most of the snowboarders were under 30 years-old, and some of them were pretty reckless. I have never tried snowboarding, I'm too scared to! Skiing seems a lot safer to me. Which one do you prefer?

    The temperature during the day was in the high 40º to the low 50º range. Sometimes I would take off my gloves and un-zip my jacket because it was so hot!

    Sincerely,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Hannah,

    You certainly have some beautiful places to visit.

    There are two lakes in my area, one quite small. They are salt water lakes that open to the sea. The larger is tidal so you can see seawater the water rushing in and out as the tides turn.

    I haven't tried skiing or snowboarding but I have been in the snow some times. My favourite when I was young was a simple rubber car tube. We'd bounce over the bumps in a slope until thrown out.

    In Australia, there are winter ski areas in NSW (my state) and Victoria (2KM/2KJ's state). The ski fields are very popular in the winter season.

    I hope you have a wonderful new year in 2012. :)

    @RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Hannah,

    I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading about your trip to the San Bernardino mountains.

    I have never been to Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear Lake. But, after reading your post I really think that I should visit both places. I love the outdoors and all the activities that you mentioned except for skiing. I have never skied and I am a little hesitant to try it. Do you think I should?

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    Sincerely,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Khaleh Minoo,

    I definitely had a great time skiing in the mountains, and relaxing in the hotel we stayed in!

    When my family and I were walking in the Lake Arrowhead village we saw many stores with huge discounts. Most stores had sales from 50% off to 80% off, so we bought a pair of shoes for everybody in my family.

    I loved the gorgeous views of the mountains right before you went down the trail. I really enjoy skiing, and I am happy I have gotten better at it. I really hope I grow up to be a great skier.

    I have never thought about snowboarding, it looks very hard, and I am too scared to try it! There were many snowboarders on the mountains but even more on the bunny hills.

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mr. Mannell,

    Thank you for leaving me a comment! I always look forward to your quality comments, because you give me a lot of wonderful information about Australia.

    I like inner tubing a lot also. Although, now a days we don't do it a with a car tire, we do with comfortable inner tubes. The hill is probably easier than the hill you went on also, since it's nicely groomed.

    Do you know if your ski resorts got a lot of snow this past ski season? Ours have gotten very little. Most of the snow is man made.

    I hope you have a very Happy New Year!

    Sincerely,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Bruce,

    Thank you for leaving me a comment!

    Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake are both beautiful, and I am sure that if you visited Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake you would love it!

    I think you should try skiing. In the beginning you might fall sometimes, but it is really fun once you've got the hang of it.

    Sincerely,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮ ☼✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮
Steps to Comment:

★Type comment in the box below★

★Choose identity. (Anonymous, Name/URL, Open ID or Google Account)★

★Publish comment or preview before publishing★
✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮☼✿☮